Get inspired with these lovely couples maternity photoshoot ideas! A maternity shoot can be a great way for pregnant couples to commemorate this special time in their lives.
Whether you’re using a professional photographer or having a maternity photo session at home, this list will help you find a great idea for your maternity pictures.
I hope you enjoy these couples maternity photoshoot ideas and congratulations!
Pause and pin now so you can find this later!
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. I may receive a small commission, at no additional cost to you, when you make a purchase using one of my links.
Note: Prices listed are approximate and only reflect price at time of publication. Prices are subject to change.
5 Tips for your couples maternity photoshoot
Choose a theme and let it guide you.
Your first step should be to think of what theme you would like for your maternity photos because that will help guide other decisions you make like what tone you want your photos to convey, what outfits to wear, what background to use, what location, etc. It will also help you decide whether you want professional photos or casual, candid photos.
For example, If you choose “luxury” as your theme, that may guide you to hire a professional photographer, wear formal designer clothing and accessories, use poses that convey affluence, and use an upscale hotel as a lavish location for your photo session.
On the other hand, if you choose a theme like “love,” you might wear matching outfits, use poses that express affection, and use a location that is meaningful to you as a couple (e.g., where you got engaged, where you had your first date, etc.).
Think about your identity as a couple.
Who are you as a couple? Bring your personality into the photo shoot. Your maternity photos are an opportunity for you to show who you are, your unique character, and what kind of parents you will be.
Fun: Pregnancy photos are the best time to take fun pictures with your partner! Show your individuality with what you wear or how you pose. You can channel 90’s tv show poses like the classic back-to-back pose, dress up like your favorite fandom characters, or even hire a petting zoo for your photos.
Love: If you’re both into romance and affection then you can express your bond through an intimate pose or a simple pose where you stare into each other’s eyes.
Family: If you’re all about family, then make it a family session! Include your small children who are about to become the “older child” when their new little sibling arrives. Parents, siblings, cousins, best friends, and any chosen family who are going to be a big part of your child’s life can take part in the photoshoot!
Get creative and incorporate props.
Props are a great way to create a unique maternity photo. You can use props to add humor, convey a message, or even express a special sentiment to your unborn baby.
Signs and text: You can hold up a sign over the belly to reveal your baby’s gender, name, due date, etc.
Baby accessories: Incorporate baby clothes, toys, a pair of baby shoes, etc. to show your anticipation and excitement for your new baby!
You could use a maternity props kit for extra fun.
Choose your outfits wisely.
One of the best things about a photo shoot is choosing what to wear. Coordinate with your partner to select the style you want to exude. This photo shoot might be a chance for you to dress up in a way don’t normally.
A matching maternity outfit can make the maternity photography session lots of fun. Make sure whatever clothes you choose align with your tone as a couple.
If you’re going for fun and playful, use plenty of colors. If you’re aiming for muted elegance, you can’t beat black and white. Formal dress can be great if you’re going for luxury.
Check out these beautiful maternity photoshoot outfits on Amazon.
Use the beauty of nature.
Choose an outdoor location! An outdoor maternity session is a wonderful choice because natural settings provide a beautiful backdrop. Plus, they’re inexpensive! You can save money by using a lovely public park as the natural setting for your couples maternity shoot.
Bodies of water are an excellent choice too. Taking your photos by a gorgeous body of water ensures that they’re full of natural beauty. A lake or the beach are public places you can use if you’re not having your couples maternity photoshoot indoors. At the beach, you can wear bathing suits as a fun way to show off the mother’s body during the pregnancy journey.
Sunset is one of the best times for a photo shoot because the natural light creates picturesque colors and shadows. This is possibly the best way to create a silhouette photo (see below for a great example) that shows off the gorgeous baby bump. A pregnancy photo shoot at the golden hour will look magical!
Couples maternity photoshoot ideas
Get ready to be inspired with these couples maternity photoshoot ideas. You’ll see couples in a variety of settings, wearing different outfits, and using different poses and props.
1. Sit together on the dock by the water with baby shoes between you.
2. Cast a shadow heart over the belly.
3. Hold sonogram prints over the belly.
4. Hold a cell phone sonogram image (or whatever image you want) over the belly.
5. Use your beautiful baby shower decorations as the backdrop.
6. Have a simple home shoot on the couch with the partner on mom’s belly.
7. Use a classic pose by making a heart together over the belly.
8. Use a loving couple pose in front of a romantic sunset by the water.
9. Show off your commitment bands over the baby belly.
10. Take fun candids at a childbirth class.
11. Kiss by the beach.
12. Hold up a gender reveal sign over your torsos.
13. Use a torso-only shot to focus on the belly in a beautiful field.
14. Use bright white background while wearing matching colors and smiles.
15. Pose with sweet affection under a beautiful blossoming tree.
16. Take some candids while preparing your baby’s nursery.
17. Use a cute pose of dad listening to the baby in the belly.
18. Go for floral romance in a field of flowers.
19. Make the most of a colorful city background.
20. Go for sensual and intimate with a passionate lingerie couples pose.
IF YOU’RE ENJOYING THIS POST, YOU’LL LOVE THESE:
How to Surprise Someone with a Gift
75 Best Valentine’s Basket Ideas: DIY and Premade Options for Your Love
50 Best Anniversary Gifts for Her
21. Hold up baby clothes that connect you.
22. Lie down and focus the shot on your loving hands holding the belly.
23. Find a nice outdoor spot for a full-body shot of you looking at the belly.
24. Use a crisp bright white background and show a bit of belly, and lots of love.
25. Sit on a bed and focus the shot on your lower half as the partner cradles the mom and the belly.
26. Hold adorable baby shoes over the belly.
27. Cuddle up on a fur rug with a simple background.
28. Strike a pose of parents relaxing before the baby is born.
29. Include your fur baby.
30. Show some love around the city.
31. Express adoration for mom and baby.
32. Go for a casual, candid shot of the couple reading.
33. Make it a family shot and include the baby’s siblings.
34. Use a simple, solemn pose that conveys affection or prayer.
35. Capture your loving silhouette in front of a beautiful sunset.
36. Wear matching outfits at the park.
37. Find a beautiful location to visit for your photoshoot background.
38. Use a drone for a fun aerial shot.
39. Opt for black-and-white images of belly kisses.
40. Take a walk in a beautiful natural setting.
41. Keep it simple with maternity selfies at home.
42. Play with natural lighting at the park.
43. Focus on the love between dad and baby.
44. Cradle mom and baby on the couch.
45. Find a unique location and use unconventional poses to make it memorable.
46. Add a surprising gender reveal element to your maternity photos.
47. Play with reflections.
48. Incorporate meaningful props in front of the belly.
49. Use a fun seasonal theme.
50. Add a celebratory vibe with balloons.
51. Have a nursery photo session and pose in front of the crib.
52. Keep it casual with some in-home candids.
53. Go for sweet and a little sensual in black-and-white with lingerie.
54. Showcase your bodies before the baby is born.
55. Use a mountainous background.
56. Sit on the grass together for a casual yet romantic look.
57. Lay in the sand together for a gorgeous beach shot.
58. Use a dark color background and play with shadows.
59. Use matching seasonal outfits outdoors.
60. Find a botanical garden for a lush green or floral background.
61. Hold up your favorite baby clothes and accessories.
62. Head into the woods and play with different poses.
63. Show off your parent-to-be bathing suit bods.
64. Lie down in the grass and use a tender forehead kiss.
65. Dress up and post on a picnic blanket with flowers and baby accessories.
66. Go for laughs with a belly-to-belly shot.
67. Use a supportive pose with mom lying down on her partner.
68. Dress like royalty.
69. Use an all-hands-on-the-belly shot with friends and family members.
70. Make it all about family with a sweet home photoshoot.
71. Use a sensual standing pose with mom in lingerie.
72. Show some skin in an intimate straddling pose.
73. Include your baby’s pet siblings.
74. Incorporate motion into your photoshoot.
75. Use a loving pose during sunset at the park.
I hope you enjoyed these couples maternity photoshoot ideas and have a great time capturing the joy in your pregnancy journey!